The proboscis monkey (Nasalis larvatus) is a monkey which lives in trees and it has unusually large nose. The proboscis is one of the biggest monkey species in Asia. It is mainly found in the mangrove forests of Indonesia and the Island of Borneo.
Proboscis Monkey Facts for Kids
- Proboscis monkey is a large arboreal monkey. The average length of adult monkey is about 66 to 76.2 cm.
- Adults weigh around 16 to 22.5 kilograms.
- Proboscis monkey likes to live in groups. Each group consists of one adult male and several females.
- They will produce pretty loud irritating sounds such as roads, snarls, and honks.
- Proboscis monkey makes habitat in mangrove forests, swamp forests, tropical forests, and steep cliffs.
- It is thought to live in Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei.
- Proboscis monkey loves to eat leaves, fruits, insects, and seeds.
- The potential predators of proboscis monkey are clouded leopards, crocodiles, eagles, monitor lizards, and pythons.
- Proboscis monkey will usually sleep near rivers.
- The average lifespan of a proboscis monkey is about 20 years in the wild.
Learn more: What Do Pigs Eat on a Farm?