Monitor lizards are big lizards and they are commonly found in Asia, Africa, and in some parts of America. They have long necks and sharp powerful claws. Monitor lizards are super carnivores.
Monitor Lizard Facts for Kids
- Monitor lizards are large lizards and they love to feed on amphibians, eggs, mammals, birds, reptiles, mollusks, crustaceans, fish, insects, and deer which makes up half of their diet.
- They are found in China, Japan, Thailand, Brunei, Philippines, and Australia.
- The adult lizards can reach overall length of 20 cm.
- Monitor lizards live on trees as well as on land.
- While they will mostly travel alone monitor lizards also live in groups. Each group consists of 20 to 25 individuals.
- Monitor lizards can eat just about anything.
- The female lays 7 to 37 eggs.
- Komodo dragon is a type of monitor lizard.
- Monitor lizards are partially venomous.
- They have an average lifespan of about 15 years in the wild.